- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a rimmed sheet pan.
- Mix ground chuck, ground sirloin, bread crumbs, milk, onion, egg, salt, oregano, and thyme together in a bowl, using your hands to combine thoroughly; shape into a loaf and place onto prepared sheet pan. Let meatloaf rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Whisk ketchup, tomato pasta, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Spread about half of the mixture over the top of the loaf.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over the top of the meatloaf and continue baking until no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes more. Let meatloaf rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
Buy whole chuck and sirloin and grind your meat at home for fresher flavor. If you like spice, add a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes with the other spices. Leftover meatloaf is delicious served as a sandwich on a crusty roll .
What others are saying
Loren Schaffer says:
I really love this meatloaf! This one didn't leave all the liquid at the bottom of the pan like a lot of recipes. I added mustard to the ketchup mix for the top, so good!
Greg Jones says:
I grew up on meatloaf and still love it today. Sometimes my boys can be picky eaters, but they really liked this recipe. They even asked for seconds!
Jen the Mighty says:
The Mealthy Tip to grind my own cuts of beef was something I don't need to be told twice! Nothing beats freshly ground meat, and in a meatloaf that's important! I have a sweet and hot style ketchup that I like to use in place of regular ketchup, and it went really well with this. Delicious!