Roasted Chicken with Oregano and Olives
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Mix the olives, dates, oregano, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and bay leaves together in a bowl; add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 380°F (180°C).
- Mix the white wine and molasses together in a bowl.
- Remove chicken pieces from the marinade and arrange into a roasting pan. Pour the marinade and the white wine mixture around the chicken pieces.
- Roast in the preheated oven, basting regularly, until the meat is no longer pink near the bone, about 50 minutes.
Chicken thighs and drumsticks work best for this recipe. Marinate overnight if possible, as the extra time makes a big difference in flavor.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
I made this recipe to make myself a believer in dates again. I haven't been a huge fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. I used bone in chicken breasts and it came out so tender and juicy. The capers gave an extremely salty element so careful if you are using more salt than needed salt for this recipe.