Roasted Chicken with Oregano and Olives
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and quartered lengthwise
- ½ cup fresh oregano leaves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons capers
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Mix olives, dates, oregano, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and bay leaves together in a bowl; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix white wine and molasses together in a bowl.
- Remove chicken pieces from the marinade and arrange in a roasting pan. Pour the marinade and the white wine mixture around the chicken pieces.
- Roast in the preheated oven, basting regularly, until the meat is no longer pink near the bone, about 50 minutes. A thermometer inserted near the bone should read at least 165 degrees F (75 degrees C).
Chicken thighs and drumsticks work best for this recipe. Marinate overnight if possible, as the extra time makes a big difference in flavor. Fresh rosemary or sage would also work well with this recipe. A Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio would be good choices for the white wine in this recipe, for the chicken and for drinking!
What others are saying
Aja A says:
I made this recipe to make myself a believer in dates again. I haven't been a huge fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. I used bone in chicken breasts and it came out so tender and juicy. The capers gave an extremely salty element so careful if you are using more salt than needed salt for this recipe.
Laura Griffin says:
I wasn't sure how the dates would fit into this recipe, but for some crazy reason the stars aligned and made this delicious dish. The chicken was extra juicy and tender, which I love. Really good!
Alli Shircliff says:
I used boneless chicken thighs for this recipe and served it with nice crusty bread to soak up the extra sauce. Delicious!