Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup with Smoky Pepitas
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 avocados
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- ¼ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix pumpkin seeds with olive oil, smoked paprika, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl until coated; spread onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Toast in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Blend avocados, water, cucumber, yogurt, basil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender until smooth; season soup with salt and black pepper. Top soup with seasoned pepitas. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
Don’t skip the smoky pepitas; they add the perfect amount of spice, crunch, and extra protein. Make them up to a week ahead of time and store at room temperature in an air-tight container—or make double and have them as a savory afternoon snack! If it's too hot to bake the crunchy pepitas in the oven, coat in the spice blend as directed and cook over medium-heat on a skillet until just toasted, about 5 minutes. Watch them carefully so they don't burn!
What others are saying
Jazzy Brewer says:
I know the recipe calls for smoky paprika but I only had regular paprika so that’s what I used. Still loved it! Great texture and taste.
Kaylee Adams says:
The recipe says don’t skip the smoky pepitas, but of course I did skip it and now I totally regret it. The chilled avocado soup was really good, and I can only imagine how much better it would be with the pepitas. I love the garlic and cayenne spices, fantastic.
Anthony Cohen says:
Loved the cucumber and avocado together. The smoky pepitas were fire. Way better than buying the store's brand. Smoked paprika is such a great spice to have in your pantry, it's a must try.
Greg Jones says:
This is one of my favorite chilled soup recipes! The seasoned and roasted pumpkin seeds are really delicious too, even to eat by themselves. It adds a great crunch to the creamy texture of the soup. Well done.
Jen the Mighty says:
Smoky pepitas are the perfect complement to this chilled, creamy soup. The avocado lends a richness, but then the cucumber balances it our with a refreshing taste. Fantastic.