Berry Buckwheat Crumble
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoons hazelnut meal
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, or more to taste
- ¼ cup coconut oil, chilled and cut into chunks
- 1⅓ pounds mixed berries
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Whisk the buckwheat flour, oats, and hazelnut meal together in a mixing bowl; add the agave nectar and integrate by using your hands to crumble it together with the flour mixture. Add the coconut oil and continue to crumble until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. .
- Stir mixed berries, orange juice, cornstarch, agave nectar, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl; spread into an even layer in an 8-inch square baking dish. Crumble the topping mixture over the berry layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until topping is golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes; cool slightly before serving.
Hazelnuts work wonderful with buckwheat, but feel free to substitute almonds if unavailable.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
You had me at hazelnut meal, I have to admit. Buckwheat is an acquired taste, but luckily one I adore, and so should you! I love using chilled coconut oil instead of butter -- very cool!