One-Pot Spaghetti with Beefy Tomato Sauce
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 10 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) package cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook ground beef in the pot, breaking meat into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until completely browned, about 6 minutes. Drain fat from the pot and return to heat.
- Add olive oil to the pot. Stir onion and garlic with the ground beef; cook until onion is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir cherry tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, and oregano with the beef mixture; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the cherry tomatoes soften, about 2 minutes.
- Pour water into the pot. Break spaghetti noodles near the center and add to the pot, pressing into the water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until spaghetti is al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish spaghetti with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil to serve.
To cut calories and saturated fat, use lean ground beef. Alternatively, try ground turkey or ground chicken for a lighter dish. Wanting a richer dish? Try adding 4 ounces of chopped bacon or pancetta with the ground beef and cook until the fat has rendered and meat is browned. Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese is ideal; if you have a microplane, grate the Parmesan cheese directly over the spaghetti.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I love spaghetti and this recipe was fire! Definitely adding this to my weekly rotation. The sauce was so flavorful and the meat was hearty and delicious. I couldn't find anything not to like about this dish.
Sam Dalton says:
Really good one-pot recipe my wife and I both enjoy cooking on busy week nights. This recipe is also very kid friendly.
Jen the Mighty says:
Cherry tomatoes are so flavorful that I was super excited to see them here. The beef was the perfect amount and I can see this becoming a go-to dinner on a weeknight, especially since it's one-pot!