Strawberry and Spinach Summer Salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- Whisk olive oil, honey, red wine vinegar, shallot, and sea salt together in a bowl until dressing is well mixed; season with pepper.
- Toss baby spinach, strawberries, pecans, and goat cheese together in a bowl. Drizzle dressing over the salad to serve.
During the winter months when strawberries aren't at their best, substitute sliced pears or apples. The goat cheese and pecans contribute a fair amount of protein, but amp up the the protein by topping the salad with roasted chicken or a hard-boiled egg to round out the meal. Blue cheese or feta cheese are also good substitutes for the goat cheese. Toasted walnuts or sesame seeds can be good substitutions for the pecans.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
Fantastic summer salad and a great way to use strawberries. The pecans added great crunch and the dressing was perfect. I didn't have shallots so I used onion, and it worked well.
Queen Foodie says:
Easily one of my favorite salads ever. I'd swapped out the pecans for candied walnuts and it was even better.