Kobe Beef Burger with Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 4 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds ground Kobe beef
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 pretzel burger buns, toasted
- 6 slices goat cheese
- Melt ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions. Season onions with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring regularly, until the onions are caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Shape Kobe beef into 6 patties; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook patties on hot grill to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium.
- Serve burgers on toasted pretzel buns; top each with 2 to 3 tablespoons caramelized onion and one slice goat cheese.
Trying to go low-carb? Treat yourself to this burger using lettuce instead of a bun for a healthy low-carb meal. Serve this burger with a fresh kale salad with lemon juice and olive oil and a sprinkling of pistachios for a complete meal. A nice amber or IPA beer would be a refreshing complement to this burger. Going alcohol-free? Have a ginger beer instead!
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I made this recipe and now it's my absolute favorite. I didn't have ghee so I used butter instead, and it was really flavorful. My husband fired up the grill and and cooked them medium to medium rare. It turned out to be a masterpiece of meat! The onion and goat cheese topping was magnificent!
Sam Dalton says:
This kobe beef burger was everything! The goat cheese on top was the perfect choice. It will be hard to eat another burger that's not made with kobe beef after this!
Queen Foodie says:
I am a huge fan of carmelized onions! I always made them at home and ask for them on my burgers at restaurants. The goat cheese is a nice change of pace and elevates the burgers so you can serve them at a dinner patty. It's a fun idea to even make them into sliders.