- ¾ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons quinoa
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and cut into ¼-inch chunks
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 bunches flat-leaf parsley leaves and soft stems, sliced thin
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Stir water and ¼ teaspoon sea salt together in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid; bring to a boil. Stir the quinoa into the boiling water, cover the saucepan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the water is completely absorbed and the quinoa is soft, about 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat, but leave covered for 10 minutes more. Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to a plate to cool completely.
- Toss the quinoa, tomatoes, shallot, parsley, and mint together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, allspice, and cinnamon together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the quinoa mixture and stir to coat.
Take a tip from this recipe and substitute quinoa for other recipes using less nutritious grains such as rice. The nutritional profile will be increased and no other grain can compete as far as protein goes since quinoa is a complete protein.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Delicious and so easy to prepare. Quinoa, when done right, is a hit. This is one of those times, and the allspice and cinnamon in the dressing add a really unique touch.