Orange, Mint, and Fennel Seed Salad
- 1½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup kale, chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 4 dates, pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- Heat a small skillet over low heat; toast the fennel seeds in the hot skillet, moving continually, until just lightly browned and fragrant.
- Lightly crush fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- Stir fennel seeds, olive oil, molasses, lemon juice, and garlic together in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the kale, mint, and parsley together in a large bowl; add oranges, dates, onion, and radishes and mix gently. Drizzle dressing over salad just before serving.
If you don't have a mortar and pestle, you can grind the fennel seeds in a coffee grinder. No coffee grinder? Put the seeds into a zip-top plastic bag; seal bag and whack with a rolling pin or a heavy skillet.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
I love that there's molasses in this dressing, it's so nice with the fennel. I used chopped baby kale for a more mild approach, as I'm just a kale beginner.