- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chicken in hot oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add tomatoes, white wine, and balsamic vinegar to the skillet; cook to just soften the tomatoes, about 2 minutes.
- Lay mozzarella cheese slices onto the chicken breasts and move the skillet to the preheated oven.
- Bake until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with basil to serve.
Julienne (or cut into long thin strips) the basil by placing a few leaves on top of each other, then roll up vertically, resulting in a tight cylinder of leaves. Using a very sharp knife, cut the cylinder into thin slices. Shake out basil with your fingers and sprinkle over chicken.
What others are saying
Jazzy Brewer says:
Served this with whole wheat spaghetti and it was really good. This is a great recipe for the kids too. I just don’t garnish theirs with basil.
Kaylee Adams says:
I didn't have any basil, (I know, I know), but this recipe still turned out fantastic. I garnished it with parsley instead. Everyone loved it! The mozzarella cheese and sauce really won me over.
Jeremy Hughes says:
Tried this as a sandwich using ciabatta. So good, especially when you drizzle the bread and chicken with extra sauce (thanks for the tip). This is a great recipe for when you want to change up your routine chicken dish.
Greg Jones says:
This is a classic chicken caprese recipe that was really easy to make! I loved the cheesy mozzarella on top, it was so good. I served it with pasta tossed in olive oil, it was wonderful.
Jen the Mighty says:
One of the best combinations in the food world is tomatoes, mozarella, and fresh basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Add chicken to that mix and you have a star. I love the hot tomatoes with the melted cheese and how they present a new take on the classic cold dish. The amount of cheese was a bit much for me so I cut it back quite a bit by just thin slices over each breast.