- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans
- water to cover
- ¾ cup tahini
- 6 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
- 3 peeled garlic cloves, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
For best results, we recommend using:
- Put garbanzo beans in a bowl with enough water to cover by several inches; soak 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain garbanzo beans and transfer to a pot; add enough water to cover by several inches. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until beans are very tender, 20 to 45 minutes; drain.
- Drain garbanzo beans and transfer to a food processor; process until fully broken down. Add tahini, ice-cold water, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and 1 teaspoon salt; continue to blend until smooth and creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
Dress up this dip by serving it topped with a sprinkle of paprika and chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Or sprinkle a layer of za'atar over the top! Make your own pita chips to go along with the hummus. We have a recipe, Homemade Pita Chips, on the Mealthy website. You can also blend other flavors in with the garbanzo beans when making the hummus; try roasted red peppers or cilantro.
What others are saying
Narragansett James says:
I used canned garbanzo beans too and forgot to reduce the amount of tahini, as a result,the tahini flavor was a little strong. Next time I’ll reduce the amount of tahini or just follow the recipe as is. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Sam Dalton says:
Homemade humus is the only way to go! This is officially our family's favorite recipe, we make it all the time. It's the perfect amount of tahini, lemon, and garlic.
Jen the Mighty says:
I cheated a bit and used canned garbanzos instead of dry, because I was too impatient to wait. When I'm feeling more like a patient person I will try with dried. Delicious with paprika sprinkled over the top as well.