Baked Penne Pasta
- 14 ounces penne pasta
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (210°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne at a boil until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
- While the pasta boils, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes, garlic, parsley, and basil with the onion; bring to a simmer and cook until tomatoes soften, about 8 minutes.
- Combine the drained pasta and the tomato mixture in a large bowl and stir; transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the pasta mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese has melted and is beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
This recipe doubles nicely so you have a second dish to freeze for later. Just thaw at room temperature for an hour before baking at 400°F (210°C) until heated through, about 30 minutes.
What others are saying
Bernardette Flatow says:
A great family dish- add chopped spinach leaves before you bake to give it some healthy greenery.
Steve Failows says:
a simple penne bake that turned out great - I opted for mozzarella instead of cheddar, like the recipe called for, since I already had it in the fridge and it was delicious.