Watermelon and Halloumi Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices halloumi cheese
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup watermelon cubes
- Whisk extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, mint, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl until dressing is smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook halloumi slices on hot skillet until lightly golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Toss arugula and watermelon cubes together in a salad bowl; top with grilled haloumi. Drizzle dressing over the salad just before serving.
Pomegranate molasses is a staple of Middle Eastern cuisine and is simply reduced sweetened pomegranate juice. It has a wonderful sweet-tart flavor. You can find it at some grocery stores and on Amazon.com. For some extra crunch and flavor in this salad, add pistachio. Top the salad with chicken, crispy prosciutto, or hard-boiled eggs for extra protein.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Pomegranate molasses with the lemon juice makes the perfect dressing for this salad. The halloumi cheese and arugula make a really nice combo with the watermelon. I love finding recipes with watermelon in a savory application! Fantastic.
Laura Griffin says:
I wanted to try a new salad and this recipe was perfect. I love this pomegranate dressing! It was so good. This is the perfect side salad, or entree salad and pairs well with grilled chicken.
Jenny J says:
I substituted the watermelon for strawberries, it was a great alternative. Also, really enjoyed the dressing. Love the tart flavors in contrast to the sweet strawberries and spicy greens.
Kaylee Adams says:
Made this salad with strawberry instead of watermelon. The pomegranate molasses is wonderful. It's perfect alone or with grilled fish.
Jazzy Brewer says:
I did arugula and spinach with the watermelon, without the cheese. I also added some shaved parm. It was really sweet, especially with the dressing. Loved the flavor though. I paired it with grilled shrimp.