Sweet Balsamic Chicken with Lemon and Olives
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 large chicken thighs
- 1 large pinch sea salt
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Move a rack to the center level in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Stir lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and honey together in a bowl until smooth.
- Lay chicken thighs onto a shallow tray; season with salt.
- Pour just enough balsamic vinegar mixture over the chicken to coat, reserving at least half of it for later use.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Sear chicken thighs in hot pan until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a large, shallow baking dish. Pour any remaining pan juices over the chicken.
- Add garlic to the dish with chicken. Pour reserved balsamic vinegar mixture over the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Arrange olives, lemon wedges, and rosemary on the chicken and return to oven until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 10 to 12 minutes more. A thermometer inserted near the bone should read at least 165 degrees F (75 degrees C).
Try other fresh herbs in addition to the rosemary. Sprigs of fresh tarragon and oregano add a nice aromatic touch to the meal. Use maple syrup and a bit of molasses instead of the honey for a slight richer flavor. Any variety of olives will work; castelvetrano olives add a great pop of green or a medley of olives is always fun so you get a different flavor with each bite.
What others are saying
Nathan Long says:
Very tasty! The sauce is great. I got the chicken a little overdone with the times suggested, so I'd watch for that next time. And I'll probably omit the lemon wedges next time for simplicity, since the lemon flavor is already in the sauce.
Jessica Scott says:
This balsamic chicken is my husbands favorite recipe. I especially love the garlic and rosemary flavors. Overall the meat is always juicy and tender whenever we make it, and tons of flavor.