Chicken and Rice Bake
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup peas
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix lemon juice, paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; add chicken and turn to coat with the spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken in hot oil until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Mix rice and peas together in a 10x15-inch baking dish. Lay the chicken fillets over the rice. Pour vegetable broth into the dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, remove foil, and continue baking until the rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes more. A thermometer inserted in the center of the chicken should read at least 165 degrees F (75 degrees C). Rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
Add vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms or carrots to this recipe to make it even more nutritious and flavorful. You could also substitute your preferred spice mix instead of making your own, or experiment with different combinations: try turmeric, ginger and curry powder, or thyme, dried lemon zest and garlic powder.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
This chicken and rice bake was delicious and easy to make. I wasn't sure about putting uncooked rice in baking dish, but it turned out good. I did fry the chicken beforehand to get the nice golden brown coloring.
Queen Foodie says:
I really don't see the point of frying the chicken and then baking it so I just saluted it all the way through. Its a simple easy dish you can make just to get something yummy on the table for dinner.