Pan-Fried Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- For the slaw:
- ¼ head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon mayonnaise
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds basa fillets
- 8 tortillas, warmed
- Toss cabbage with salt in a large bowl; massage cabbage to tenderize. Transfer cabbage to a colander placed over a bowl; drain to remove excess liquid, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Squeeze as much moisture from cabbage as possible; transfer to a mixing bowl. Toss cabbage with green onions, carrot, and jalapeño pepper.
- Whisk the greek yogurt, lime juice and zest, garlic, agave nectar, and mayonnaise together in a small bowl into a creamy dressing; divide the dressing into two equal portions. Stir one dressing portion into the slaw mixture and toss to coat.
- Mix flour, ancho chile powder, salt, and black pepper together in a wide, shallow bowl. Lightly press fish fillets into the flour mixture to coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry fish in hot oil until golden and and the flesh flakes easily, about 2 minutes per side. Flake fish into chunks and spoon into warm tortillas; serve with reserved dressing.
Lots of light and healthy fish options work well in this recipe. Try rockfish, sole, or tilapia. Note that the fish continues to cook for a little while after it’s been removed from the heat. Let it to sit for 5 minutes or so while you get everything else together. Flake it apart at the last minute for perfectly tender pieces.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
Really delicious fish tacos! I am not a huge fan of slaw, but I loved this spicy version. It paired perfectly with the tacos. My husband also really loved these. It's our new go-to fish taco recipe.
Greg Jones says:
The spicy slaw in these tacos are amazing! I fried my corn tortilla shells and grilled the fish. Very good dish, excellent flavor and seasoning.