Pan-Fried Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- ¼ head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds basa fillets
- 2-3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 tortillas, warmed
- Combine cabbage with salt in a large bowl; massage cabbage to tenderize. Transfer cabbage to a colander placed over a bowl; drain to remove excess liquid, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Squeeze as much moisture from cabbage as possible; transfer to a mixing bowl. Mix cabbage with green onions, carrot, and jalapeño pepper.
- Whisk Greek yogurt, lime zest and juice, garlic, agave nectar, and mayonnaise together in a small bowl until dressing is creamy; divide into two equal portions. Stir one dressing portion into cabbage slaw mixture and toss to coat.
- Mix flour, ancho chile powder, salt, and black pepper together in a wide, shallow bowl. Lightly press basa fillets into the flour mixture to coat.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry basa in hot oil until golden and and the flesh flakes easily, about 2 minutes per side. Flake fish into chunks and spoon into warm tortillas; top with cabbage slaw and serve with reserved dressing on the side.
Lots of light and healthy fish options work well in this recipe. Try rockfish, sole, or tilapia. Note that the fish continues to cook for a little while after it’s been removed from the heat. Let it to sit for 5 minutes or so while you get everything else together. Flake it apart at the last minute for perfectly tender pieces. For a little extra something, top the tacos with avocado slices!
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
Really delicious fish tacos! I am not a huge fan of slaw, but I loved this spicy version. It paired perfectly with the tacos. My husband also really loved these. It's our new go-to fish taco recipe.
Greg Jones says:
The spicy slaw in these tacos are amazing! I fried my corn tortilla shells and grilled the fish. Very good dish, excellent flavor and seasoning.