Lemon and Oregano Grilled Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Stir, olive oil, oregano, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; pour into a large, resealable plastic bag; add chicken and seal, removing as much air from the bag as possible. Massage the bag to assure chicken is completely coated in marinade.
- Marinate chicken in refrigerator at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade, shaking to remove excess moisture. Discard marinade.
- Grill chicken on hot grill until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 5 to 6 minutes per side. A thermometer inserted near the thickest section should read at least 165 degrees F (75 degrees C).
Pair this simple recipe with your favorite salad or roasted veggies and some crusty bread for a complete and nutritious meal. It also tastes great served with rice pilaf or orzo! Try different herbs besides the oregano. Fresh thyme or fresh rosemary are good options. Add 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest to the marinade for extra lemony flavor.
What others are saying
George Delamea says:
We keep oregano in our herb garden, so this recipe was a no-brainer. It was simple enough for the boys to eat it without having to be persuaded to even try it. Lemon, oregano, and garlic just work well together.
Queen Foodie says:
I love that this recipe calls for fresh oregano. It's so worth hunting it down and getting that pure flavor coming thru every bite.
Steven Gomes says:
Paired this with a Greek-style salad, and it was really good. I added extra oregano too, which is one of my favorite ingredients. Especially on chicken.
Kaylee Adams says:
Paired this with roasted veggies and pilaf rice. Very nice dish, love oregano and lemon, it's always a winning combo. We used an indoor grill to make these, and they were wonderful. I bet they are even more amazing on an outdoor grill.
Jazzy Brewer says:
So I took the base of this recipe and used it to make grilled fish. Served it with a creamy risotto for dinner. So good!