Quick Make-Your-Own Mexican Tostadas
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, or more as needed
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1½ cup refried beans
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup sautéed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons crema (Mexican-style sour cream), or more to taste
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco (Mexican-style fresh cheese)
- ¼ cup salsa verde (green salsa), or more to taste
- Heat grapeseed oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry a tortilla in hot oil until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat frying with remaining tortillas.
- Heat refried beans in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, about 5 minutes.
- Put refried beans, lettuce, chicken, mushrooms, crema, queso fresco, and salsa verde into individual bowls with serving spoons. Let everyone build their own dinner!
If you want additional healthy vegetarian options, try avocados or sautéed vegetables. They work great and everyone loves them - vegetarian or not! You can mash black beans or white beans instead of using refried beans. Shredded pork or steak can be used in place of the shredded chicken. Cotija cheese can be used in place of the queso fresco. Sprinkle chopped jalapeño pepper over the tostada for some heat.
What others are saying
Bernardo de la Vega says:
I love tostadas, they are definitely one of my favorite things eat and they are so easy to make. This is recipe is nice and simple to follow. I would certainly suggest adding Guacamole, that is MUST in my tostadas.
chef chris says:
there are many steps in this recipe but the outcome is pretty good. i would do without the mushrooms.
Sheila Long says:
I made vegan tostadas using roasted red pepper hummus and sautéed zucchini. So good. Grapeseed oil was perfect for frying these up!
Jeremy Hughes says:
Great tasting Mexican tostadas! I didn't use the mushrooms though. I also used rotisserie chicken. Definitely one of my favorite quick and easy weeknight meals.
Steven Gomes says:
Avocados made these vegetarian tostadas taste amazing. Lots of crema, lots of cheese. I tried the tortillas in vegetable oil because that's all I had. Next time I'll have to try frying with grapeseed oil.