Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 2 cups basil
- 1 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Combine basil, white beans, pumpkin seeds, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in the pitcher of a high-speed blender or food processor; pulse until everything is just combined. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour olive oil into the pitcher; pulse again until oil is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
Using a high-speed blender will give you the smoothest texture, but if you don't have one or prefer your pesto a little chunky, a food processor or immersion blender will also work well. The pesto can be refrigerated for up to one week, or stored in the freezer for up to a month.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I really liked the texture of this pesto, it was delicious. The white beans were perfect for adding creamy texture. I also loved the garlicky flavors, so yummy.
caroline chambers says:
so genius to use white beans instead of parmesan to make this creamy, basil pesto. i used it as a dip, but i think you could thin it out with a few splashes of water to make it a pasta sauce.