- Pico de Gallo:
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ onion, minced
- 1 small green chile pepper, deseeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, or to taste
- 2 bolillo loaves, halved lengthwise
- 1 ½ cup refried beans
- 4 generous slices of cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Mix tomatoes, onion, chile pepper, and cilantro together in a bowl; season with salt.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Spread butter onto cut-sides bread. Toast bread, cut-side down, in the hot pan until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread a layer of refried beans onto the toasted surface of each bolillo half; top with cheese.
- Toast in oven until the cheese is fully melted and starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with pico de gallo.
Gluten-free? Switch to gluten-free bread; just make sure it is thick enough to withstand the beans without turning to mush.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Full disclosure: I didn't use bolillo loaves, I used a baguette. Next time I will be more authentic and go for the bolillo loaves, now that I know what they are and where to find them (local Mexican grocery!). Even one a baguette this is delicious. Tomatoes, cilantro, refried beans (I'll try black beans next time), and a generous heap of Cheddar really sold this for me.