- 4 small zucchini, halved lengthwise
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into slices
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Use a small spoon to remove the seeds. Place the halved zucchini, cut-sides up, onto the prepared baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss tomatoes, oregano, basil, and garlic together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato mixture into the zucchini halves.
- Bake stuffed zucchini until tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Switch oven to broil. Move a rack to the top position.
- Top zucchini with mozzarella slices.
- Melt cheese under the broiler until bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes; serve immediately.
You can also use yellow summer squash instead of zucchini in this recipe. A generous sprinkle of chopped fresh basil or freshly grated Parmesan cheese would be delicious garnishes. For a flavorful summer meal, serve alongside Italian-spiced grilled chicken.
What others are saying
Erin Hudson says:
I have been looking for healthier appetizers for game day and this recipe definitely hits the mark. To help the husband save face with his friends I added some extra mozzarella cheese and mini pepperonis.
Jessica Scott says:
This mozz stuffed zucchini was really good! I made it as an appetizer for a party I hosted. It reminds me of bruschetta, but with zucchini instead of bread. It was really delicious and flavorful. Your guests will love it!
Jen the Mighty says:
Eating veggies is always a joy when cheese is involved. Love the finish under the broiler; adds color and texture.