Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, roasted
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, chopped green onions, sour cream, cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add the turkey, breaking the meat into small chunks with a wooden spoon as it cooks, and cook until completely browned.
- Push the turkey mixture to the sides of the skillet and toast the cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper.
- Transfer turkey mixture to the slow cooker. Add red, green and yellow bell peppers, black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth and stir until combined.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on High for 4 hours.
- Serve with desired toppings.
This recipe can be made in a presure cooker too! Just use the "Brown" or "Saute" setting to cook turkey mixture, then add remaining ingredients and bring the pot to pressure to cook on High for 25 minutes. Cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes to reduce. Pressure cooker recipe here: https://mealthy.com/recipes/993.
What others are saying
McKenzie C says:
This was a good chili, simple and basic. I added more cumin and also ground white pepper for spice. I also just used one whole green bell pepper instead of half of three different color peppers. Perfect base chili recipe for having friends over. We set up a chili bar and served it with cheese, sour cream, and other toppings.
Steve Failows says:
Quick and easy Chili! next time I make this I think I'll some tomato paste instead for a more concentrated flavor. Also I'll make it more spicy - I like some kick to my chili!
Tal Levitas says:
Turkey Chili. My oh my. I made this and it tasted good but wasn't spicy enough so -1 star.
Shannon Whittier says:
When I made this by the directions it didn't seem very thick so I made a few adjustments.I added siracha and a jalepenoo to give it some kick and drained some of the broth. Next time I will do less broth. But it wasn't bad!
Tarragon Boi says:
This is a REALLY simple recipe for turkey chili. What I liked best about it is that it used a bunch of ingredients that I had in my pantry. When I made this I had a red and green bell pepper in my fridge, but no yellow bell pepper. I didn't miss it!