Open-Faced Ricotta and Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches
- Infused Basil-Garlic Oil:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 dried Chinese red chilies (tien tsin peppers)
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- Open-Faced Sandwiches:
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the olive oil, basil, garlic, and Chinese chilies together in a small saucepan over low; simmer oil for 5 to 8 minutes. Let oil cool completely. Remove and discard basil, chilies, and garlic.
- Layer ricotta cheese and heirloom tomatoes onto toasted bread slices. Drizzle infused oil over the sandwiches; season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy these delicious sandwiches for lunch or appetizer. Make the infused oil ahead of time and drizzle on everything!
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
This infused oil is a superstar! Warning: do not use the entire cup of oil on your sandwiches! You will definitely have leftover oil, and that's a good thing. I love the little kick you get from the oil over the tomatoes and cheese. I used a coarse country-style loaf for the bread to hold up against the weight of the cheese and tomato.