- 1 cup long-grain rice
- cold water to cover
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put rice in a bowl with enough cold water to cover; let soak for 20 minutes.
- Melt ghee in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Drain rice and add to saucepan; fry rice in hot ghee for 1 minute. Pour chicken broth over the rice and add saffron; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover pan with a lid, and simmer until rice is tender and broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
Saffron is a high-priced spice with various grades. The better the grade of the saffron you use the better the aroma, color, and flavor of your final dish.
Make this vegetarian and vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
What others are saying
Randall Hauk says:
Saffron makes everything better. I know it's pricy, but it's worth it for the occasional flavor splurge. This brings a lot of flavor to your rice side.
Aja A says:
Love saffron rice! Great to pair this with some butter chicken or shrimp if you desire. Sometimes, I like to add some raisins in the rice for some sweetness.
Sam Dalton says:
This saffron rice had a ton of flavor and was everything I was expecting it to be. Such an easy recipe too. Definitely will make this again.