Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice Salad
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 8 shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, minced
- 1 green chile pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mix the water, shallots, garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; add chicken and turn to coat with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Whisk white wine and molasses together in a small bowl until smooth. Remove chicken from marinade and arrange in a roasting pan. Pour the marinade around the chicken. Drizzle wine-molasses mixture over the chicken.
- Roast chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone, 50 to 55 minutes. Move chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken roasts, mix rice, water, and salt together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to minimum, place a cover on the saucepan, and cook rice at a simmer until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Drain rice and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Mix the cooled wild rice with the parsley, cilantro, mint, and chile pepper together in a large bowl. Whisk the olive oil and red wine vinegar together in a small; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over the rice mixture and stir..
- Shred chicken the meat or go ahead and tear it off. Mix some of the caramelized marinade from the roasting pan to the chicken and mix; add to the wild rice salad and stir.
While the chicken can be marinated for just two hours, leaving it overnight will really make a difference.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
I've been eating wild rice a lot lately and really enjoyed this dish. I added extra lemon chicken to mine. The dressing was also really easy to make and I plan to use it on other salads as well.