Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice Salad
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 8 shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, minced
- 1 green chile pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mix the water, shallots, garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; add chicken and turn to coat with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Whisk white wine and molasses together in a small bowl until smooth. Remove chicken from marinade and arrange in a roasting pan. Pour the marinade around the chicken. Drizzle wine-molasses mixture over the chicken.
- Roast chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone, 50 to 55 minutes. Move chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken roasts, mix rice, water, and salt together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to minimum, place a cover on the saucepan, and cook rice at a simmer until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Drain rice and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Mix the cooled wild rice with the parsley, cilantro, mint, and chile pepper together in a large bowl. Whisk the olive oil and red wine vinegar together in a small; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over the rice mixture and stir..
- Shred chicken the meat or go ahead and tear it off. Mix some of the caramelized marinade from the roasting pan to the chicken and mix; add to the wild rice salad and stir.
While the chicken can be marinated for just two hours, leaving it overnight will really make a difference. Plus, prepping part of the recipe in advance cuts down on the workload come mealtime!
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I love wild rice, but this was my first time trying in with a salad. I marinated the chicken overnight and the next day it was so full of flavor .Definitely worth it! The dressing was very simple, but really it's all that was needed because the chicken boasts so much flavor. Great salad, so good that it makes you forget that it's healthy.
Sam Dalton says:
I've been eating wild rice a lot lately and really enjoyed this dish. I added extra lemon chicken to mine. The dressing was also really easy to make and I plan to use it on other salads as well.