Chicken Salad with Berry Balsamic Relish
- Herb-Marinated Chicken:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Berry Balsamic Relish:
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 to 1 mild green chile pepper, deseeded and sliced thin
- 6 cups kale
- 1/2 cup parsley (leaves and soft stems), chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Mix the olive oil, parsley, mint, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Combine the marinade and chicken in a bowl; stir to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour to overnight.
- Heat vegetable oil in a grill pan over medium heat. Cook chicken until lightly charred and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Mix the blueberries, balsamic vinegar, shallot, honey, and chile pepper together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the blueberries are tender and the liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Toss kale, parsley, mint, and avocado together in a salad bowl; top with chicken strips and serve with the berry balsamic relish.
For a vegan take on this delicious salad, forgo the chicken, increase the avocado, and switch the honey for agave nectar in the berry balsamic relish.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Blueberries plus balsamic vinegar with a hint of chile pepper has my head spinning from greatness! So good all on it's own, but then with the chicken and kale salad and some creamy avocado...heaven.