Vegan Creamy Rice Pudding
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup agave nectar, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
- Stir 2 cups water, rice, cinnamon stick, orange zest, and salt together in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, place a cover on the saucepan, and cook rice at a simmer until the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix coconut milk, 1 cup water, and agave nectar together in a bowl; pour over the cooked rice and stir. Increase heat to medium. Cook the rice, stirring frequently, until the liquid thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir vanilla extract into the rice; Top with raisins and ground cinnamon to serve.
Rice pudding is delicious even without truck-loads of sugar, so give it a shot with just 2/3 cup of agave nectar to reduce your sugar intake. Try evaporated cane juice in place of agave nectar, if you prefer.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to vegan puddings, but the coconut milk in this one really works nicely! I topped with cinnamon but left the raisins out this time around. Very good!
Katie Hason says:
This rice pudding was extra creamy! I used honey instead of agave nectar, and it was really sweet and delicious. It was very much like traditional rice pudding. I'll definitely make again.