Chicken and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3 russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt ghee in a large stock pot on medium-high heat. sauté onion in hot ghee until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour chicken stock into the pot; add the potatoes, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook potatoes at a simmer until fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes simmer, remove skin from the rotisserie chicken and discard. Strip meat from the bones and shred.
- Stir chicken with the potatoes and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
Craving chicken noodle soup? Use this recipe as a base. Simply ditch the potatoes, cook egg noodles or fettuccine in a separate pot until al dente, and ladle the chicken and broth over a bowl of cooked noodles. Top with a little chopped thyme or rosemary.
What others are saying
Anthony Cohen says:
Wasn't a huge fan of the consistency of the soup so I ended up draining all the liquid and just serving the chicken and potatoes, more like a stew. The flavor was really good, so I liked that about it. It was also really easy to prepare.
Jeremy Hughes says:
I love the standard meat and potatoes dish, but I'm trying to cut out red meat and eat lighter. This chicken and potato soup is a nice compromise. I added a little lemon to my first bowl, but prefer the soup without it.
Sheila Long says:
This chicken and potato soup is my "chicken noodle soup" for when I'm sick or the weather is cold. I like to add chopped celery to it too.
Greg Jones says:
One of my favorite soup recipes! I use red potatoes instead of russet, but other than that don't make any additional changes. The rosemary and thyme give it great flavor too.
Aja A says:
A great comfort soup that can be enjoyed any time of the day. Even when I'm not sick I like to sip the broth from this soup cause it's so good! Make sure to buy chicken backs to make the broth if you can find it.