Classic Chicken Parmigiana
- 4 chicken breast halves, pounded thin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 8 large slices fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Mix bread crumbs and ¾ cup Parmesan cheese together in a shallow bowl. Put flour into a separate shallow bowl.
- Dredge chicken in flour to coat; shake to remove excess flour. Dip the chicken in the eggs to coat and then gently press into the bread crumb mixture to coat both sides; shake again to remove loose breading.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Fry breaded chicken in hot oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Spread ½ cup of marinara sauce into a baking dish. Lay the chicken breasts into the marinara sauce. Spoon 2 tablespoons marinara over the top of each chicken breast and top with 2 slices mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted, 12 to 14 minutes, .
- Garnish with basil to serve.
Use one hand for dipping in the eggs and the other hand for dipping in the flour and bread crumbs. This will avoid breading your fingers! Gluten free? Use your favorite gluten-free flour in place of the all-purpose, and make your own gluten-free bread crumbs by blitzing a few pieces of Udi's or other gluten-free bread in the food processor until they're in small crumbs.
For more Italian inspired recipes, check out:
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This was an authentic chicken parmigiana recipe, and it was so simple, I can't believe it! The breadcrumb and marinara topping was so delicious, my mouth is watering all over again just thinking about it! No fuss, no frills, just good eating!
Greg Jones says:
One of our favorite weeknight meals. I've never considered myself a gourmet chef, but this recipe tastes like something out of a high end Italian restaurant. Very good, very easy. Five stars.