Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1½ pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, lime juice, chile powder, garlic salt, cumin, and oregano together in a small bowl; pour into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, remove as much air from bag as possible, and seal. Massage bag so chicken is completely coated in marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Heat remaining oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Fry chicken in hot oil until cooked through and the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes; remove chicken from the skillet with a slotted spoon to a platter.
- Sauté onion and bell peppers in the hot oil until softened, 4 to 6 minutes; remove with slotted spoon to platter with the chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Replace the chicken with portobello mushrooms to make this a terrific vegetarian meal. Don't want to buy five different spices? Purchase a pre-made Mexican spice mix and use two tablespoons when marinating the chicken instead of making your own.
For more Chicken Fajitas recipes, you might enjoy:
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
These chicken fajitas were super tasty! They tasted exactly like what I would order at my favorite restaurant. The marinade is so good, my husband uses it on chicken when he does his weekly meal prep. We love it!
chef chris says:
i would not change a thing about this recipe. I will say that the chicken can be made a day or two ahead so the marination can really seep in. the flavor is amazing on the chicken and really cooking the peppers and onions down gets the flavor sweeter