Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1½ pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, lime juice, chile powder, garlic salt, cumin, and oregano together in a small bowl; pour into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, remove as much air from bag as possible, and seal. Massage bag so chicken is completely coated in marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Heat remaining oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Fry chicken in hot oil until cooked through and the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes; remove chicken from the skillet with a slotted spoon to a platter.
- Sauté onion and bell peppers in the hot oil until softened, 4 to 6 minutes; remove with slotted spoon to platter with the chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Replace the chicken with portobello mushrooms to make this a terrific vegetarian meal. Don't want to buy five different spices? Purchase a pre-made Mexican spice mix and use two tablespoons when marinating the chicken instead of making your own.
For more Chicken Fajitas recipes, you might enjoy:
What others are saying
chef chris says:
i would not change a thing about this recipe. I will say that the chicken can be made a day or two ahead so the marination can really seep in. the flavor is amazing on the chicken and really cooking the peppers and onions down gets the flavor sweeter
Jessica Scott says:
These chicken fajitas were super tasty! They tasted exactly like what I would order at my favorite restaurant. The marinade is so good, my husband uses it on chicken when he does his weekly meal prep. We love it!