Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1½ pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, lime juice, chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and oregano together in a small bowl; pour into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, remove as much air from bag as possible, and seal. Massage bag so chicken is completely coated in marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Heat remaining oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Fry chicken in hot oil until cooked through and the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes; remove chicken from the skillet with a slotted spoon to a platter.
- sauté onion and bell peppers in the hot oil until softened, 4 to 6 minutes; remove with slotted spoon to platter with the chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Replace the chicken with mushrooms to make this a terrific vegetarian meal.
What others are saying
chef chris says:
i would not change a thing about this recipe. I will say that the chicken can be made a day or two ahead so the marination can really seep in. the flavor is amazing on the chicken and really cooking the peppers and onions down gets the flavor sweeter