- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic. minced
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir onion, jalapeño, garlic, cinnamon stick, cumin, coriander, and paprika together in the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until onion begins to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard cinnamon stick.
- Pour tomatoes into the skillet; cook until tomatoes soften, about 10 minutes more; season with salt and pepper.
- Press the back of a ladle into the tomato mixture in five places to make slight indentations. Gently crack an egg directly over each indentation.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until egg is cooked to your preference, about 2 minutes.
Removes the seeds and pith of the jalapeno pepper to reduce the heat.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
A delicious, hearty breakfast is not complete without eggs- and quite a few of them I might add. Before making this dish, make sure you have a baguette on hand as you will want to use it to slop up all of the sauce. From the spicy tomato sauce, to the runny egg yolks, this recipe is very easy to make and a crowd pleaser. For a little bit of cheesy goodness, add some shredded Parmesan cheese. You won't be disappointed with this dish.