Caramelized Honeyed Grapefruit with Mint
- 1 grapefruit, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 mint leaves, thinly sliced, or more to taste
- Preheat oven’s broiler.
- Line a plate with paper towels. Place each grapefruit half, cut-side down, on the paper towels to dry for 5 minutes. Remove grapefruits from plate and trim each uncut side to form a flat surface.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place each grapefruit half, cut-side up, on the aluminum foil.
- Spread 1 teaspoon honey evenly over the top of each grapefruit half.
- Broil grapefruit in the preheated oven until browned around the pith and fruit is caramelized, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Top with mint.
While the caramelized grapefruit already accommodates many dietary restrictions, such as gluten-free and low carb, you can substitute agave nectar for the honey to make it vegan. For a different flavor, try switching out the honey and mint for brown sugar and chopped basil!
What others are saying
Aja A says:
So I already am a huge fan of grapefruit in the mornings. However, how can you make it better? By baking it duh! I don't have much of a sweet tooth so this fulfills my sweet cravings definitely in a healthy way!
Caro Hodgin says:
Woah, this is such a cool new way to prepare grapefruit. Still incredibly healthy, but made into a decadent treat with just that 1 teaspoon of honey per grapefruit half. Can't wait to serve this to my next houseguests!
Shannon Whittier says:
I love grapefruit and eat it weekly. This was a runway to shake things up a bit but still get my daily grapefruit fix. Very delicious and easy!
Jen the Mighty says:
When I think of splurging on a decadent breakfast it's not usually grapefruit that comes to mind. Now it does. The broiling plus just a little honey really cuts the bitterness of the fruit and then the mint takes it home with a refreshing round-out to the flavors. This is a completely new grapefruit experience that will keep you coming back. Grapefruit will no longer be pushed to the sidelines of my breakfast; it's now a headliner!