Spiralized Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- 2 sweet potatoes, ends trimmed, spiralized using a 5mm blade
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup coconut flour, or more as needed
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- cornstarch (optional)
- pinch grated nutmeg
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Sauté sweet potato noodles in hot pan until softened, for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Make a roux by melting the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in coconut flour into butter until it’s thick and fragrant, for 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour milk into butter mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture thickens (if mixture doesn't thicken, make a slurry using cornstarch and water and whisk into milk mixture), for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black pepper into mixture. Stir in 2 1/4 cups Cheddar cheese and 1 cup Gruyere cheese until the sauce is well combined and cheese is melted.
- Add sweet potato noodles to cheese sauce; stir to combine. Pour into a glass or ceramic baking dish and sprinkle remaining Cheddar and Gruyere cheeses on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until potatoes are tender and cheese is bubbling, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with nutrients such as vitamin A, B vitamins, potassium and fiber. The same can't be said about pasta!
What others are saying
Tal Levitas says:
This just didn't work. Sweet potatoes didn't swap well for noodles. I also couldn't get the texture right. Maybe adding more sweet potatoes will make it better.
Caro Hodgin says:
I used all-purpose flour and this recipe worked like a charm. so tasty. more like cheesy potatoes but i loved it!
Jen the Mighty says:
Let's be honest; the real star of mac and cheese is the cheese sauce, and this sauce can't be beat! I used a combination of coconut flour and cornstarch to get it bound and thickened, and with a bit of nutmeg and cayenne this sauce really steals the show. I love the color that the sweet potato brings. Beautiful and delicious.