Garlic Scape Pesto with Avocado Oil
- 1 bunch garlic scapes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 6 basil leaves, or more to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup avocado oil, or as needed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Blend garlic scapes, pine nuts, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, salt, and pepper together in a food processor until combined, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour avocado oil into garlic scape mixture while the food processor is running; blend until pesto is combined and desired consistency is reached. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Transfer pesto to a bowl and stir in Parmesan cheese.
Take advantage of when garlic scapes are in season and whip up a few batches. You can store it in the freezer fo enjoy long after the season has past.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Everyone should use garlic scapes in their pesto! Combined with the avocado oil this pesto is a total winner. I used it on steaks, burgers, pizzas, and in pasta (all from just one recipe!). I even brought it camping and used it on our vegetable packets we cooked over the fire! Everyone at the campout was raving. I was the camping hero!