Garlic Scape Pesto with Avocado Oil
- 1 bunch garlic scapes, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 6 basil leaves, or more to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup avocado oil, or as needed
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Blend garlic scapes, pine nuts, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, salt, and pepper together in a food processor until combined, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour avocado oil into garlic scape mixture while the food processor is running; blend until pesto is combined and desired consistency is reached. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Transfer pesto to a bowl and stir in Parmesan cheese.
Take advantage of the short time when garlic scapes are in season and whip up a few batches. You can store it in the freezer fo enjoy long after spring has past. If you can't find garlic scapes, use 3 cups packed arugula and add 3 garlic cloves to the recipe.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Everyone should use garlic scapes in their pesto! Combined with the avocado oil this pesto is a total winner. I used it on steaks, burgers, pizzas, and in pasta (all from just one recipe!). I even brought it camping and used it on our vegetable packets we cooked over the fire! Everyone at the campout was raving. I was the camping hero!
Jessica Scott says:
Garlic scapes taste just like garlic, and were perfect in this pesto! The added pine nuts, basil, and lemon gave this delicious pesto a true to taste flavor and texture. It's especially delicious on flatbread, which is how we served it. I can't wait to make it again soon.