Shrimp and Clams on Wild Rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed in cold water
- ½ cup white wine
- sea salt to taste
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot on high until shimmering. Reduce heat to low and fry the onion and half the garlic in hot oil, stirring constantly, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes; add tarragon and cook until the only begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir the rice and white wine with the onion mixtures and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice is slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes; season generously with sea salt. Pour the boiling water over the rice, place a cover on the pot, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the clams to the pot, replace the cover, and continue to cook until the clams open, about 15 minutes more.
- While the clams cook, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium. Cook the remaining garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds; add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and are no longer translucent, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Season rice with sea salt and pepper; let rest for 3 to 5 minutes before serving topped with the shrimp.
Serve this delightfully garlicy dish sprinkled generously with chopped parsley which is a natural breath freshener! It also adds a beautiful burst of color to the presentation.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
This paella and risotto hybrid was creamy and delicious. Wild rice is always a good choice! I didn't add clams, but I did pair it with shrimp and it was really good. Simple and easy to make, which I love.
Aja A says:
So I've never been good with making paella unfortunately, but this dish is like an easy, mock version of it with risotto vibes. This was definitely a winner with my friends and I. The white wine gives off the classic notes of risotto and I'm here for it.