Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups peeled and chopped carrots
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Fry onion and garlic in hot butter, stirring often, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes; add the ginger and cook until fragrant, about two minutes. Stir the carrots and lemon peel with the onion mixture; cook until carrots are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the broth into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer the soup until carrots are completely tender, 17 to 20.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth, adding water as needed to keep the soup blending. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return blended soup to the pot and simmer until hot and slightly thickened, about five minutes. Garnish with chives and freshly ground black pepper.
Top the soup with feta cheese and croutons for a naughtier take.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Love. It. I got daring and used some preserved lemon zest in addition to the regular lemon zest. Gave it a really nice zing!