Mint and Pea Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cups peas
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the onion in hot butter, stirring often, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir the peas with the onion and cook together for about two minutes.
- Pour the broth into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender, add the mint leaves, and blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Return blended soup to the pot, bring to a simmer, and cook for five minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir the buttermilk into the soup.
- Divide soup between four bowls; garnish with sour cream and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
To make this soup vegan, use olive oil instead of butter and coconut milk instead of buttermilk.
What others are saying
Randall George says:
I was a bit skeptical of this, but it turned out really nice. I love peas, mint, and creamy soups. Never thought they'd all come together like this, though.
Jacqulyne de Jardins says:
Made this as an appetizer for a friend who is vegan. Just subbed the buttermilk for coconut milk and she really enjoyed this one. I really liked the mint that came through. I put sour cream on mine and it was much needed on my end.