Mint and Pea Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cups peas
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
For best results, we recommend using:
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion in hot butter, stirring often, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir peas with onion and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour broth into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender, add the mint leaves, and blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Alternately, blend soup in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return blended soup to the pot, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir the buttermilk into the soup.
- Divide soup between four bowls; garnish with sour cream and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
To make this soup vegan, use olive oil instead of butter and coconut milk instead of buttermilk. It tastes just as good because the beautiful flavor of fresh peas is the star!
What others are saying
Kaylee Adams says:
Served this up with a nice, thick crusty piece of bread. The buttermilk gave it a nice, thick texture too. It's good with or without the sour cream.
Steven Gomes says:
Used olive oil instead of butter and coconut milk instead of buttermilk. Not a vegan, but really love those flavors together. Perfect spinach dish, especially with sour cream, salt and pepper.
Jenny J says:
I added diced, thick cut ham pieces in this pea soup. I also used a chicken broth instead of veggie broth. I really like the flavors, perfect for spring.
George Delamea says:
I was a bit skeptical of this, but it turned out really nice. I love peas, mint, and creamy soups. Never thought they'd all come together like this, though.
Jacqulyne de Jardins says:
Made this as an appetizer for a friend who is vegan. Just subbed the buttermilk for coconut milk and she really enjoyed this one. I really liked the mint that came through. I put sour cream on mine and it was much needed on my end.