Watermelon and Arugula Chicken Salad
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Watermelon Salad:
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 cups bite-sized watermelon chunks
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- ½ teaspoon balsamic glaze
- Mix the olive oil, mint, and garlic together in a small bowl; add the chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-low. Transfer the chicken to the skillet and pour the marinade over breasts; cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut into strips.
- While the chicken cooks, mix the remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, and salt together in a small bowl; season with pepper.
- Put the arugula into a salad bowl; top with the chicken breasts, watermelon, and feta cheese. Drizzle the dressing and balsamic glaze over the salad immediately before serving.
For a vegan take on this delicious salad, forgo the chicken and cheese and replace the honey with agave nectar.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I made this salad for a party and it was a big hit. Who would have thought, watermelon and chicken together in a salad? It was delicious and sweet. I definitely plan to make again.
Aja A says:
Great salad, however as my previous reviews, I tend to leave out the arugula portion or buy it to have my friend try out since she loves it. I used a mix of romaine and spinach. Love the balsamic glaze paired with the chicken and watermelon. A wonderful salad to prepare during watermelon season so you can get the sweetest ones you can.