Gluten-Free Strawberry Buckwheat Waffles
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- Mix the buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Beat the buttermilk, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl until smooth; add to the flour mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a waffle iron to High and prepare cooking surfaces with cooking spray.
- Ladle about ¼ cup batter onto the prepared waffle iron; immediately add 1 tablespoon strawberry jam and swirl it with the batter. Close the waffle iron and cook until according to manufacturer direction, 8 to 10 minutes.
These waffles freeze great. So feel free to make a large batch, freeze them, and just pop them in the toaster as needed! Xanthan gum is a great ingredient to have on hand for gluten-free baking. It is a powerful thickening agent and prevents ingredients from separating.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
Anytime I can find a new GF recipe, it's a win for me! I had never cooked with buckwheat until now. Very delicious recipe! I especially love the strawberry jam swirled in the batter. Can't wait to make these again.
Jessica Scott says:
I made these gluten free waffles for my little niece and she loved them! Anytime I can put a smile on her face, I'm happy. This recipe was very accurate and easy to make.