Seared Scallops with Coconut Rice and Snow Peas
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1½ cups water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 16 sea scallops, muscles removed
- ½ teaspoon dried red chile flakes, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ cup sliced fresh basil
- Stir the rice, coconut milk, water, and a generous pinch of salt together in a Dutch oven or large pot; bring to a boil, then adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff the rice.
- Put snow peas on top of the rice and cover to lightly steam them for five minutes.
- Season scallops with salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until shimmering. Add the scallops, cooking for about 2 minutes or until it can easily be removed from pan. Flip and cook for 2 minutes more or until sides are no longer translucent.
- Finish the scallops with the lime juice. Serve with the rice, snow peas, and garnish with basil.
Avoid overcrowding the scallops in the pan. Cook in batches if necessary.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
This Thai dish was authentic tasting. Such a simple recipe but boasting so much flavor. The coconut rice was new for me and I enjoyed it.