Cumin Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki and Quick-Pickled Red Onions
- Quick-Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup low-fat or nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
- ½ hothouse cucumber, peeled, grated, and strained
- ½ cup chopped mint leaves, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Cumin Lamb Burgers:
- 1½ pounds ground lamb
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- 4 brioche buns, lightly toasted
- Mix red onion, red wine vinegar, and salt in a small bowl.
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, ¼ cup mint, garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl; season with salt. Place in the refrigerator to set.
- Gently combine lamb, yellow onion, cumin, coriander, and remaining mint in a bowl; season well with salt and pepper. Form into four patties, trying to avoid overhandling the meat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat until lightly smoking. Adjust heat to medium, add the burgers, and cook until the bottom is browned, about 4 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook until a meat thermometer inserted into the middle of the burger registers an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C), about 4 minutes more.
- Allow burgers to rest for five minutes before serving on buns topped with about 2 tablespoons tzatziki and 1 tablespoon quick-pickled onions.
With ground meat, it’s best to handle it as little as possible so that it doesn’t get tough. Also note that thicker patties will take longer to cook.
What others are saying
Paul Kriloff says:
I love this recipe! It develops so much flavor in such little time. I took some liberties - cilantro instead of mint and kofta kebab spices in the party (cinnamon, grated onion, Aleppo pepper), but the basic idea is intact. I love the quick pickling - adds so much.
Queen Foodie says:
I absolutely loved the flavor combinations. This recipe reminds me of the New York City style gyro my dad used to buy me as a kid. It's like a gyro in burger form. I will definitely be making these again.
Steve Failows says:
This recipe was a breeze - the cumin added a delicious, fragrant, tasty touch to the lamb patty - the coriander didn't come through as strong but complemented it all nicely. I threw together some yam fries on the side and used the left over tzatziki as a dip. I'll definitely make this again.