Braised Short Ribs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-ounce) short ribs
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, trimmed and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Warm the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot (preferably a cast iron dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, then sear them until deep golden brown all over, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer short ribs to a holding plate and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pot, then return the pot to medium-high heat. Cook the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, wine, vinegar, bay leaves, red pepper flakes and remaining salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Nestle the short ribs down into the braising liquid, bone-side-up. Cover the pot, transfer it to the oven, and cook until the meat shreds easily off the bone, about 3 hours.
- Transfer short ribs to a holding plate. Discard bay leaves. Use a ladle to skim any fat off the top of the braising liquid, then pour it into a blender. Blend on low speed for 15 seconds, until chunky-smooth.
- Return the sauce to the dutch oven to keep warm and season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Ladle about 1/3 cup of sauce into each of 4 bowls, then place two short ribs over the sauce in each bowl. Garnish with parsley.
Skip the blending step for a chunkier accompaniment to your shortribs.
What others are saying
Marlea Kent says:
These short ribs are amazing!!! I've made lots of short rib recipes and this is my favorite by far! The sauce is amazing and it's soo easy! Husband highly approved and I will be making for a dinner party soon!
Queen Foodie says:
I normally braise my short ribs in water or beef stock but I was willing to give this recipe a try and I am so glad I did. It is absolutely delicious. I chose a wine with hints of black pepper, cherries BlackBerries and raspberries to braise in. Unbelievably delicious 😋
Steve Failows says:
who doesn't like short ribs?! delicious fall off the bone ribs that anyone would like - next time I make this I'll probably double up on the red pepper flakes or throw in a habanero or two for an extra kick.