Curry-Spiced Pickles with Galangal and Preserved Lemon
- 1/4 cup concentrated rice vinegar
- 4 cups spring water, divided
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 8 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise
- 2 whole Thai red chilies
- 3 slender pieces brined galangal, drained
- 1 preserved lemon, halved
- Combine the vinegar, 1 cup water, agave nectar, and salt in a sealable glass jar; seal tightly and shake to dissolve salt in liquid completely.
- Pour vinegar mixture into a bowl; add remaining water and curry powder.
- Tightly pack cucumber halves upright in a quart-sized canning jar; add the chilies, galangal and preserved lemon halves.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the jar. Making sure the ingredients are submerged completely in liquid and seal. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Use concentrated rice vinegar, but dilute it as directed as it is not digestible in its pure form. The pickling liquid in this recipe can be used for 2 to 3 batches. The longer the cucumbers macerate, the more pronounced the flavor.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
The curry spice flavors are really good. We pickled two batches overnight. Super easy!