Chilled Cucumber Soup
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 1 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup loosely packed chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sliced parsley leaves
For best results, we recommend using:
- Blend cucumbers, yogurt, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, parsley, tarragon, olive oil, and vinegar in a blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl and blend with an immersion blender or in the chopper attachment until smooth.
- Pour soup into a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until fully chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve cold and topped with shallot, a generous drizzle of balsamic syrup, extra-virgin olive oil, and fresh parsley.
Make your own balsamic syrup: Add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil over medium-low heat, then simmer until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and has reduced by at least half, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate any extra for up to three months.
What others are saying
Jennifer Ingram says:
UPDATE: After sitting for several hours, the flavors really developed and it was rich and refreshing. I didn't have the parsley or tarragon, but even w/o, this soup is a winner! Just whipped this up and had to review how absolutely simple it was (especially in a powerful blender - only rough chop necessary). I'm now waiting for the chilling/flavor blending to happen and will follow up with full review then (but initial taste tests are very promising!).
Tiana D. says:
Cucumber soup?! I can tell you this soup is really good and worth making. This will be my go-to soup this summer, and such a pretty color for dinner parties.
Katie Hason says:
This cold cucumber soup is so refreshing! I love the shallots and garlic in this dish as well, it truly heightens the overall flavors. It's a great appetizer and perfect for date nights!