Pasta Salad with Summer Vegetables
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 zucchini or summer squash, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Place a pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente, approximately 10-12 minutes. Strain pasta and set aside to cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the squash and onions, stirring occasionally until the squash becomes tender and the onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper, and add the chili flakes (if desired). Add the remaining vegetables and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the tomatoes just begin to soften.
- Combine the pasta and vegetables in a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- This can be served hot, or as a cold pasta salad.
Serve this tasty pasta salad hot or cold. It's great for picnics, as the whole dish can be made a day in advance and refrigerated—the pasta and vegetables will mellow as they sit. For a more filling dish, stir in sliced grilled chicken or sautéed shrimp to add protein.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I loved this pasta salad, it's so easy and delicious. I also made this recipe for a potluck and everyone loved it. You don't need the boxed version anymore, this version is perfect and simple.
Jen the Mighty says:
This pasta dish is really easy to make, easy enough that my 13-year old can make it, too, and feel like she's really done something fancy and delicious. Solid weeknight meal.