Cod with Avocado, Tomato and Feta Salad
- juice from 2 lemons (about 4 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and cubed
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked and kernels removed
- ½ cup crumbled feta, preferably Bulgarian
- 4 (6 ounce) cod fillets
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes, avocado, corn, and feta. Toss to coat with dressing. Adjust seasoning as needed and set aside.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the fish. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan over medium-high until shimmering. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the fish until the bottom half is no longer translucent and easily releases from bottom of the pan (about 4 minutes). Flip carefully with a fish spatula; cook until the fish easily flakes apart and is pearly white (about 2 more minutes). Drizzle with lemon juice just before removing it from the pan.
- Divide the fish between four plates, garnish with basil and serve with the salad.
Bulgarian feta with the brine is creamier than other varieties, but if you can't find it, Greek or American feta will work as a fine substitute If you prefer, use another firm white fish like haddock, halibut, snapper, bass or tilapia instead of cod.
What others are saying
Sheila Long says:
I used Greek feta cheese and seasoned the fish with oregano because I thought it was a little bland. Love all the ingredients together, I would make it again with just a few tweaks.
Monica Allen says:
I used salmon for this recipe instead of cod and it was super tasty. I also used canned corn instead of fresh ears of corn. Loved all the flavors together, it was really good.
Aja A says:
The avocado and corn salad was the best part of this recipe. The cod was just okay. The salad portion is actually better on its own or with a fish like salmon or some roasted shrimp. Will make the salad part again.
Sam Dalton says:
I made this dish and it was quick and easy. I really liked the avocado, tomato, and feta salad on top. It was really light and flavorful, and paired nicely with the flaky white fish. This is the perfect meal for weeknights, especially in the summer when I'm craving something light and delicious.
Dom Clement says:
This was a good simple cod dish. We set aside some cod from our other dish we made and I find that I do like a bit of a coating on this type of fish. I'm used to fried cod, so that may be it. All in all, this was a healthy fish option for the wife and me.