A Healthier Banana Bread
- nonstick cooking spray
- 5 tablespoons room-temperature butter
- 1 (packed) cup light brown sugar
- 2 room temperature large eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon turbinado sugar, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Prepare a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer on medium speed, combine the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, olive oil, yogurt, and rum.
- In a third bowl, stir together the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the banana mixture the blended butter mixture, in three separate additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing on low speed. Mix just until all of the ingredients have incorporated taking care not to overmix. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
Freeze individual slices for a great on-the-go breakfast during the week.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
I didn't think it was possible for a healthy banana nut bread to taste good, but this was excellent. The whole wheat flour was a little different than traditional all-purpose but not that recognizable. I especially love eating this in the mornings on my way to work with coffee.