A Healthier Banana Bread
- nonstick cooking spray
- 5 tablespoons room-temperature butter
- 1 (packed) cup light brown sugar
- 2 large room temperature eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon turbinado sugar, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Prepare a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer on medium speed, combine the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, olive oil, yogurt, and rum.
- In a third bowl, stir together the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the banana mixture the blended butter mixture, in three separate additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing on low speed. Mix just until all of the ingredients have incorporated taking care not to overmix. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
The finished banana bread freezes beautifully. Slice up individual portions, wrap in foil, and keep them in the freezer. It makes a great on-the-go breakfast during the week for those mornings when you can barely get dressed in time.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
Banana bread is hands down one of my husband's favorite dishes. I've made it for him a bunch of times, only problem is that my version was super unhealthy. Now that's he trying to eat better, I decided to make this healthier recipe. It was so delicious, he didn't even recognize that it was a new recipe. The yogurt made the texture perfectly moist. This is definitely our new favorite!
Greg Jones says:
I didn't think it was possible for a healthy banana nut bread to taste good, but this was excellent. The whole wheat flour was a little different than traditional all-purpose but not that recognizable. I especially love eating this in the mornings on my way to work with coffee.