Late Summer Farro Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Bring water and farro to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the grains burst open and are soft but slightly chewy, 25 to 30 minutes; drain. Transfer farro to a large bowl to cool.
- Put corn into a microwave-safe bowl; heat in microwave oven on High until tender, about 1 minute; spread onto a plate to cool.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Toast almonds in hot skillet, shaking regularly, until browned and aromatic, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate to cool.
- Put olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a jar. Seal jar and shake vigorously.
- Stir almonds, corn, tomatoes, mint, basil, feta cheese, and scallions with the cooled farro; drizzle dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
Feel free to substitute any grain for the farro (quinoa, millet, brown rice). To add protein, add a can of chickpeas or another bean. To add more greens, mix in 3 cups of chopped spinach.
What others are saying
Shannon Whittier says:
Big winner at my house! I added chicken and only added a few tbs of the lemon juice instead of the 1/4 cup. The farro took awhile to cook but it was well worth it!!! Very delicious