Late Summer Farro Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Bring water and farro to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the grains burst open and are soft but slightly chewy, 25 to 30 minutes; drain. Transfer farro to a large bowl to cool.
- Put corn into a microwave-safe bowl; heat in microwave oven on High until tender, about 1 minute; spread onto a plate to cool.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Toast almonds in hot skillet, shaking regularly, until browned and aromatic, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate to cool.
- Put olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a jar. Seal jar and shake vigorously.
- Stir almonds, corn, tomatoes, mint, basil, feta cheese, and scallions with the cooled farro; drizzle dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
Feel free to substitute any grain for the farro (quinoa, millet, brown rice). For a protein boost, add a can of chickpeas or any of your favorite beans. To add more greens, mix in 3 cups of chopped spinach.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This was my first time cooking with farro and I really enjoyed it. Not the easiest ingredient to find in stores, but the flavor of this dish was magnificent. The basil and mint were my favorite, they pair wonderfully together.
Shannon Whittier says:
Big winner at my house! I added chicken and only added a few tbs of the lemon juice instead of the 1/4 cup. The farro took awhile to cook but it was well worth it!!! Very delicious