No-Churn Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 2 (13 ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a tempered glass bowl; add the agave nectar and the pod halves.
- Place the bowl in a large pot with water reaching halfway up the sides; bring water to a simmer and heat the nectar and vanilla for 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard the vanilla pod halves. Allow nectar and vanilla to cool completely.
- Stir cool vanilla agave, coconut milk, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl; pour into a sealable container and seal.
- Ripen ice cream in freezer, stirring every hour or so to break-up the ice crystals, until firm, 5 to 6 hours.
Thanks to the alcohol content, the vanilla extract will keep your ice cream from freezing rock solid—so don’t skip it! Use full-fat (not reduced fat) coconut milk for the best texture and flavor. Shake the cans well to mix the liquids and solids before adding to the bowl.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
The dairy-free treat is so good! I like to add matcha powder to it cause it reminds me of a place I used to get vegan matcha green tea ice cream at in San Francisco, but it closed down.
Randall Hauk says:
My son has a dairy allergy, so he only knows dairy-free ice cream. He ate this very well the first day I made it, but he wasn't quite so enamored of it after it had set a bit more firmly in the freezer for a few days. Mixed review. I think it works, but we'll probably try others next time.