Spicy Sausage Penne Bake
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups prepared Arrabiata sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne pasta at a boil until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat oil in a cast-iron Dutch oven over medium. Fry sausage in hot oil, breaking into small pieces with your spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and onion with the sausage and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour Arrabiata sauce into the skillet and stir. Add the penne and stir to coat in sauce.
- Remove pot from heat. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top of the pasta mixture to cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with basil to serve immediately.
Use whole-wheat pasta and turkey sausage for a lighter option.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
I don't get a whole lot of use out of my Dutch oven so I was so excited to try this recipe. The arrabbiata was incredible. This dish goes perfect with a big glass of wine! So good, you'll feel like you just ate at a 5-star restaurant.
Katie Hason says:
This was so good! I especially loved the basil, it was a nice, cool balance in contrast to the spice from the sausage and arrabbiata. Very flavorful and easy to make! I will definitely be cooking this again soon.
Steve Failows says:
Perfect comfort food for those fast approaching chilly fall nights! The bake is what really brings this dish together, the sausage and arrabbiata sauce gave real nice spicy kick to it. This recipe's going into the regular rotation.